Birmingham Central Synagogue
For week commencing Sunday 1st December 2013
All services are at the new Central Synagogue except Minchah Mon-Thurs, which is at Singers Hill.
Tuesday & Wednesday are Rosh Chodesh Tevet.
Shabbat Vayigash begins at 3:37pm and ends at 4:49pm.
Download Shabbat & Yom Tov times (PDF) for 5774 (2013/14)
Please note that visitors who are not known to the synagogue should call the office in advance, before attending services. Due to security requirements, visitors who arrive unannounced may be denied access.
Birmingham Central Synagogue
An informal, warm and welcoming provincial community atmosphere exists at Birmingham Central Synagogue, just a short distance from the city centre. The Birmingham Jewish Ashkenazi Orthodox community was established in a private house in Belgrave Road in 1883 before moving to Wrottesley Street in 1900 and then to Bristol Street in 1928, taking over a former Methodist Hall. In 1961 a small group of dedicated, hard working individuals acquired the large plot of land upon which the current Synagogue, hall and classrooms now stand at 133 Pershore Road.
Whilst the formal services are a perfect mix of tradition yet modern, Birmingham Central Synagogue is so much more than just a place for Jewish people to pray. The membership spans a great range of ages and aims to cater for them all, from the very young Toddlers' service to the teenage youth activities to the retired ladies' and gentlemen's programmes.
Daily and weekly learning sessions for a variety of ages and abilities are offered including a Gemara shiur, Chumash Rashi, talks on topical subjects as part of our monthly "Central Forum" after kiddush on Shabbat and, of course, a short daily dose of Halachah (law) at the end of all services.
The first choice of the student population in Birmingham, Central Synagogue families are renowned for their legendary hospitality to all and many strong friendships have been formed with students over a good single malt and satisfying cholent!
Birmingham Central Synagogue is the beacon of modern orthodoxy in the West Midlands and welcomes people of all levels of observance to a warm, friendly and hospitable community. Membership enquiries are welcome and should be directed to the shul office.
February 2013 saw the start of a major redevelopment of our site, starting with the refurbishment of the Malcolm Locker Building to create a new fit-for-purpose shul, community hall, kitchen, classrooms and community lounge. This project is due for completion at the end of July 2013, at which point we will be handing over the current Synagogue to developers who will be building a new care home.
We are not able to house more than a handful of our historic etched windows in the new centre and are looking to sell these to other communities or interested parties in July 2013 before we vacate the Synagogue. You can click here to see pictures of the etched windows at Birmingham Central Synagogue. Any enquiries should be addressed to Sybil Prais via the Synagogue Office.
Our farewell celebratory dinner took place on Sunday 20th January 2013 - click here to see pictures taken at the event and contact the shul office if you would like to order any prints.